Gray Reed & McGraw, P.C.
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600 Dallas, Texas 75201 T: (214) 954-4135 F: (214) 953-1332 firstname.lastname@example.org
Drew York, a Shareholder at Gray Reed & McGraw, P.C., is a five-time consecutive selection as a “Rising Star” by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine. His practice focuses primarily on class action/mass tort (both plaintiff and defense) and complex commercial litigation disputes. Drew’s representative trial experience includes obtaining a $48 million judgment on behalf of twelve clients in Lonoke County, Arkansas in 2010, in a lawsuit related to the In re Genetically Modified Rice Litigation multidistrict litigation in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. The judgment was the 42nd largest in the United States in 2010 according to Verdict Search, and was affirmed by the Arkansas Supreme Court in 2011.
Class Action and Mass Tort Experience
In re Genetically Modified Rice Litigation, 4:06-MD-01811-CDP, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- Member of legal team that reached a $750 million settlement with Bayer AG and its affiliates to compensate U.S. rice farmers relating to the discovery of Bayer’s genetically modified LLRice in the U.S. rice supply.
- Member of trial team that obtained a $48 million judgment in the Circuit Court of Lonoke County, Arkansas against Bayer AG, Bayer CropScience AG, and Bayer CropScience LP for damages sustained by twelve rice farmers. The jury verdict, and corresponding judgment, awarded the twelve farmers one hundred percent of the compensatory damages sought (approximately $6 million) and $42 million in punitive damages. The Arkansas Supreme Court affirmed the judgment in all respects in 2011. The jury’s verdict ranked as the 42nd largest verdict in the United States in 2010 according to Verdict Search.
- Counsel for a Texas rice mill and exporter that settled claims with Bayer for more than $7 million.
- Member of two trial teams that obtained judgments totaling $3.5 million against Bayer on behalf of 2 Missouri, 2 Arkansas and 1 Mississippi farmer in U.S. District Court (Eastern District of Missouri).
In re Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation, 2:09-MD-2047-EEF, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana:
- Counsel for homebuilder defending against claims against claims made by homeowners for allegedly defective Chinese drywall. Also represent same homebuilder on contribution and indemnification claims against drywall manufacturer.
In re Tremont Securities Law, State Law and Insurance Litigation, 1:11-CV-01687-TPG, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Counsel for trust that brought suit against “feeder fund” that invested with Bernard Madoff.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition (2008-2014).
- Drew York was a member of the plaintiffs’ trial team in Randy Schafer et al. v. Bayer CropScience LP, et al., in which a Lonoke County, Arkansas jury returned a $47,975,605.00 verdict for a dozen Arkansas rice farmers after two different types of Bayer CropScience’s experimental genetically modified rice were found in the United States rice supply in 2006 and 2007. That verdict was recognized as the 42nd largest verdict awarded for 2010 in Verdict Search’s “Top 100 Verdict in America for 2010”.